Before construction began in 1869, the site was covered with a dense spruce forest that had to be felled to prevent obstruction of the light and eliminate any chance of a fire endangering the station.
Since no roads led to the cape, the following cost-saving decision, as recorded in the 1869 report of the Lighthouse Board to Congress, was made: It was agreed the bricks would be made locally, instead of bringing them from San Francisco at an enormous expense. So an agreement was made with a local craftsman to furnish two hundred thousand brick for $25/thousand - about a third the cost of transportation from SF alone. About eighty thousand of these brick were accepted and paid for, the rest rejected.
The remainder of the supplies had to be landed at the Cape through the surf. The first delivery arrived in May of 1870. When the vessel was partially unloaded, a gale struck, driving the ship onto the beach and causing the loss of the remainder of the cargo. Another shipment arrived in July, and the tower and keeper duplex were completed.
|So, on December 20th, 1870, the lighthouse began operation and began to warn ships away from the reefs and to provide a position fix for navigators.|
This isolated lighthouse holds at least four Oregon records: it is the oldest continuously operating light, the most westerly, it has the highest focal plane above the sea, (256 feet), and Oregon’s first woman keeper, Mabel E. Bretherton signed on in March 1903.
|Today, history is shared with guests from all over the world, through a partnership between the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Oregon State Parks, the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Indians, Coquille Indian Tribe, Curry County and the Cape Blanco Heritage Society.|
Tour Cape Blanco and learn what sets it apart from other Oregon lighthouses. Explore Oregon's only working lighthouse, where you can climb into the working lanternroom where the historic lens still serves as a beacon and a warning.
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Cape Blanco Lighthouse
Well golly the rain stopped the sun came out someone say hello to the sun god
So after a late start it,s lighthouse time
We picked a good time for today 4 of the coolest bloggers were on the job and that would be Chris and Cherie
From Technomadia doing the outside History and Paul and Nina from Wheelingit with the house and light tour
We got to spend lunch with Chris and Cherie even so no food was offered some tour host and Nina left us holding the oil bucket and Paul took us to the sauna room,,, so all in all we cut out food,, strained ourself,,hit the stairmaster,,
and went to the solarium /sauna,,, and if that wasn't,t much we did the stairmaster one more time back to the ground floor,, well some workout
This is a cool lighthouse as one can stand in the lantern room and the view of 360 degerees no wonder Paul calls it his free penthouse office with a view
Thanks you guys